Vi’s 30 Day Astral Challenge
(Above art was painted by me, please don’t remove caption)
Please note that the following is based on my personal journey with the astral and that not everyone finds their way into Elsewhere this way.
•possibly a plant
When completed you will know how to:
•recreate objects from our plane
•construct an astral home
•create an Anchor that can jump between both this realm and Elsewhere, keep you tethered to reality and help you in your adventures.
•create a thoughtform to act as Gatekeeper of your astral home
1. Sit quietly and inhale for a count five, exhale for a count of five. Practice deep intentional breathing for one minute.
2. Find an ordinary common object like a pencil or rock and study it for 10 seconds. Memorize every detail. Now close your eyes and recreate it in your minds eye/imagination for ten seconds. Open your eyes and look at the object from a different angle for ten seconds. Do this for about two minutes total.
3. Begin keeping a journal of any dreams you may have as well as reflection on daily exercises
4. Either look out a window or go for a walk outside. Pick a natural specimen such as a tree, leaf, cloud, etc and do exercise number 2.
5. Practice intentional deep breathing for five minutes while creating in your minds eye a copy of your favorite food.
6. Doodle/sketch your ‘happy place’ or a location where you feel most at home or at peace with yourself
7. Find a small item with sentimental value to you, such as a ring, crystal, etc and place it in your pillowcase.
8. Hold your sentimental item, which from now on I will call an Anchor, in the palm of your hand and do the recreation exercise. Before bed focus on the copy of your Anchor in your minds eye.
9. Draw your Anchor in your dream journal and make a list of things you would like it to do for you. IE, protection, help you summon a weapon, transform into something useful, wake you up if you are having a nightmare, etc.
10. Name your Anchor. Do intentional breathing with it in the palm of your hand for five minutes.
11. Imagine your ideal happy place in your minds eye. Picture yourself walking through it, being there. What does the air smell like? Is the climate cold or warm? What does the landscape look like? What kind of ecosystem is it? What kind of colors can you see? You reach out and touch your surroundings, what do you feel? Document everything in your journal.
12. Doodle/sketch your dream home/homestead and then recreate it in your minds eye.
13. Build your ideal place in your minds eye, imagine yourself there. Walk around the edges of it, and envision an array of protective and colorful energy flowing out behind you from your footsteps. The energy ebbs and begins to create a flexible and complex barrier that will keep out negative energies and entities. This is your ward, and it will protect your astral home.
14. Bring your Anchor to your astral home and ask it to perform a task.
15. Create a sigil to help you in your astral adventures.
16. Google and read about crystals/gemstones that can help raise psychic awareness, aid in astral travel and that are related to dreams.
17. Pick a favorite of the crystals you read about on day 15 and doodle/draw it in your journal.
18. Google and read about plants that can help with psychic abilities, dreaming and astral travel.
19. Pick a favorite plant and doodle/draw it in your journal.
20. Either obtain a physical specimen of your chosen crystal, or find a good photograph of it and recreate it in your minds eye. Bring it to your astral home.
21. Either obtain a physical specimen of your chosen plant or find a good photograph of it and recreate it in your minds eye. Bring it to your astral home and plant it by your front door.
22. Make a playlist of music that helps you easily enter into deep breathing and be able to access your astral home.
23. Draw/doodle your favorite animal or magical creature.
24. Write a profile for your above doodle. Give it a name, personality, what are its favorite foods and colors, hobbies, likes, dislikes, etc. I’ll call this creature your Gatekeeper from now on.
25. Recreate your Gatekeeper in your minds eye. Imagine them at your astral home, taking their first breath, seeing you and interacting with you. Introduce yourself, share some of your energy with them. Sit down and meditate/practice intentional breathing with them. What are they like? Do they have any behaviors or mannerisms you find notable?
26. Return to your astral home and meet your Gatekeeper again. Ask them politely if they would like to help you in acting as the guardian and protector of your astral home.
27. Go for a walk and see your Gatekeeper walking beside you in your minds eye. Spend time with them.
28. Return to your astral home and check on your plant. Has it grown any?
29. Return to your astral home and walk the boundaries of your territory with your Gatekeeper, repeating Day 12’s exercise to strengthen your wards and teach your Gatekeeper how to do so as well.
30. Remember that Elsewhere is a world of its own with its own inhabitants. Be respectful and polite when venturing outside of your astral territory. Don’t go wandering into someone else’s space without asking permission. Do your own research about the astral plane (there are lots of good resources here on tumblr).
This is a collection of my most popular witchy tips content posts! I will be adding on to this regularly. It is designed to help witchlings and seasoned practitioners alike! If there is a topic you would like for me to writer about that I have not already covered, please contact me and I will make it!
- So, You Wanna Be a Witch? : A Beginner’s Guide to Witchcraft
- Classification of Modern Witches: A General Guide to Witch Types
- Which Sect Should I Start In? : A Personality Quiz for Witchlings
- Glossary of Commonly Used Witchcraft Terms
- Common Misconceptions and Appropriations in Witchcraft
- Witchcraft is Not a Religion: The Difference Between Wicca and Witchcraft
- All About Grimoires: Creating Your Very Own Witch’s Journal
- Deity Worship: Working with the Divine
- A Beginner’s Guide to Spell Writing
- A Brief Guide to Sigil Creation
- A Beginner’s Guide to Tarot
- A Beginner’s Guide to Runes
Elemental Based Craft//
- Green Witchery: A Guide to Earth Magic
- Sea Witchery: A Guide to Water Magic
- Suncraft: A Guide to Fire Magic
- Stormcraft: A Guide to Wind Magic and Weather Work
- Winter Witchery: A Guide to Snow Magic
- Stellar Witchcraft: A Guide to Space Magic
Location Based Craft//
- Kitchen Witchery: Magic for Homebodies
- Urban Witchcraft: Magic for City Dwellers
- Wastecraft: Magic for Desert Dwellers
- Swampcraft: Magic for Swamp Dwellers
Internal Based Craft//
- Hedgecraft: The Basics of Astral Work
- Oracle: The Basics of Divination
- Channeling: The Basics of Spirit Work
- Intrinsic Magic: The Basics of Energy Work
- Inner Darkness: The Basics of Shadow Work
- Wicked Witchcraft: The Witch on the Offense
Hobby Based Craft//
- Creature Magic: A Guide to Working with Magical Creatures
- Artistic Craft: Magic for Artists
- Melodic Craft: Magic for Music Lovers
- Pop Culture Witchcraft: Using Mainstream Media in Magic
The Craft, Identity and Health//
- LGBTQA Witches: Information, Education, Tools and Spells for LGBTQA Practitioners
- Spoonie Witchcraft: Doing Magic with a Chronic Illness
- Magic and Neurodivergency: Metaphysical Tools to Help Cope with Mental Illness
- Stimmy Ideas for Neurodivergent Witches: Magic and Stimming
- Period Magic: Blood Magic for Menstruating Witches
The Craft and Activism//
- Resistance Witchcraft: Standing Your Ground
- Conservation Craft: Saving the Planet
- OneTreePlanted, What it is and Why Witches Should Care.
- The Nordic Pantheon
- The Kemetic Pantheon
- The Hellenic Pantheon
- The Celtic Pantheon
- Intro to Traditional Celtic Magical Practices (Pre-Wicca)
- Intro to Traditional Norse Magical Practices (Pre-Wicca)
- Cultural Appropriation Masterpost: Resources and education on how to be culturally respectful
- A Basic Guide to Open and Closed Religions and Cultures
- Censing Instead of Smudging: How to Smoke Cleanse Without Being a Culture Vulture
- Totems and Spirit Animals (And why non-natives cannot have them)
- Dreamcatchers (why making them/selling them is wrong and why you should Buy Native Instead)
- Halloween Costumes, Redface and Mascots
- Racist Slurs and Phrases to Stop Using
- A Letter to White American Witches and Pagans from a Native Witch
Other Useful Information//
- Which Herb Should I Use? A Helpful Beginner’s Quiz
- Which Crystal Should I Use? A Helpful Beginner’s Quiz
- Crystals in Healing and Magic
- Herbs in Healing and Magic
- Herbalism: How to Do It Yourself!
- Violet’s Witchy Tips
- Vi’s Witchy Book Rec List and Book Reviews
- Violet’s Shop of Curiosities
- Vi’s Youtube Channel (Crystal and Stimmy Videos!)
- A square of purple or indigo fabric OR a colorful drawstring bag
- A piece of blue or purple embroidery floss OR a piece of jute
- Silver Glitter OR Gold Glitter
- Pinch of Lavender
- Pinch of Chamomile
- Pinch of St. Johns Wort
- Pinch of Vervain
- Pinch of Passionflower
- Pinch of Valerian Root
- Pinch of Mugwort
(Any three of these crystals)
- Nebula Stone
(Any two of these objects)
- Small solar charged mirror
- Charm or Pendant that has been warded
- Befriended fossil or bone
- Found feather
- A small item of personal significance
- If using the square of cloth, place all items in the center of the square. Fold the corners of the cloth up and tie the thread or jute around the top of the bundle. So that it looks like this when you are finished –>
- If using the drawstring bag, place all items inside the bag. Tie it off with your thread.
- Place the bag or bundle in your pillowcase.
Here are just some really basic and some of my favorite methods of Astral Travel.These all help you to enter into a relaxed, trance-like state of meditation that makes it easier to trigger a controlled out of body experience, or OOBE.
- Controlled Breathing. Taking long, deep breaths. Being fully aware of your lungs expanding and contracting.
- Candle Meditation. Staring at a flickering flame.
- Water Meditation. Staring at flowing water.
- Rain Meditation. Watching rain fall.
- Car Ride Meditation. Watching things whiz past you and slowly ‘zoning out’.
- Lucid Dreaming. Controlling your dreams and allowing your dream self to leave your physical body.
- Day Dreaming. Letting your mind wander.
- Visualization. Seeing yourself from a third person perspective leaving your body and entering the Astral Realm.
This is just how I do it. Every witch is different.
1) Go somewhere quiet
2) Close your eyes
3) See yourself for 3rd person POV, usually from above
4) See your astral self, whatever form it may take, rise slowly out of your body
5) Take a deep breath
7) Now fly.
Astral travel can be fun but I wouldn’t recommend it for people who haven’t had a lot of out of body practice first. I’ve been having OOB experiences since i was a kid and began astral projecting around eight years old.
Here are some basic guidelines~
- PROTECT YOURSELF! Certain stones and herbs are good for protection during astral travel. Most of my adventures happen while I’m sleeping so I keep pouches in my pillow to protect me on my journey. You can also use Warding on your aura to help protect you as you wander around Elsewhere.
- Go places you’ve been before. New places can result in getting lost. While its good to wander out of your ‘safety zone’ every once and a while, its safer to visit places you know how to get to.
- Be polite to anyone or thing you meet. The astral plane is pretty, and you’ll meet all sorts of creatures. Be polite. Do not be afraid, and remember that all creatures in the Astral Realm deserve respect.
Hope this helps!
Psychic abilities go hand in hand with Witchcraft. Here are just a few of the basic ones and what they are.
•Astral Projection: the ability to have out of body experiences and separate the astral body from the physical body at will.
•Aura Reading: the ability to perceive the energy surrounding a living being.
•Auto-Writing: Writing without conscious thought. An act performed often by mediums.
•Bilocation: Being in many places at once.
•Channeling: Communicating with a spirit.
•Clairalience: Having a smell perception outside the human senses.
•Clairaudience: Having an auditory perception outside the human senses.
•Claircognizence: Having a thought perception outside the human senses.
•Clairgustance: Having a taste perception outside the human senses.
•Clairsentience: Having a physical perception outside the human senses. Related to psychometry.
•Clairvoyance: Having a visual perception outside the human senses.
•Divination: Gaining insight into a situation by use of tools or ritual.
•Dowsing: Ability to locate an object.
•Energy Healing: The ability to mend physical, emotional, energetic and mental wounds with energy.
•Levitation: Flying or floating.
•Precognition: Perception of future events.
•Psychokinesis: The ability to manipulate objects through thought and willpower.
•Psychometry: The ability to learn information about an object, person, memory or event by physically touching a related object.
•Retrocognition: Perception of past events.
•Scrying: Use of a tool to peer into the distance or the future.
•Telepathy: The transfer of thoughts, words or emotions from one mind to another.