Now, I know that several really well know bloggers have done posts on Spoonie Witchcraft, but I wanted to do my own just to kind of interject my own personal experiences and my ideas/spells and such.
The Spoon Theory//
Who is a Spoonie?
A Spoonie is someone whose illness interferes with their ability to function on a day to day level. Those of us with chronic illnesses, mental or physical, that sometimes, oftentimes do not have the energy to perform magical spells or rituals. An example of people who may identify as Spoonies are those with neurodivergencies (Ex. Autism, Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, DID, BPD, etc) and those with chronic physical illnesses (Ex. Autism, Fibromyalga, Hypothyroidism, Endometriosis, Cancer, Chronic Fatique Syndrome, Chrohns, etc).
Critical: One to no spoons. No energy to do anything. Can barely get out of bed.
Low: Two or three spoons. Can do basic daily tasks such as showering and getting dressed but anything else is a desperate struggle. This is where I live most of the time.
Average: Four spoons. Doing fine, energy levels are tolerable. Can accomplish daily tasks with less difficulty.
Lots of spooons!: Spoon levels at maximum! Completing big tasks such as work, doctors visits, phone calls, paying bills and such comes easily. I can’t even remember the last time I had max spoons lmao.
Spoon Levels and Magic//
Critical Spoons: No magic today. Use what little spoons you have to eat food and drink water.
- Daydream. Dreaming in general has a lot of power and needs little to no input on your part.
- Drink herbal tea or water to cleanse yourself.
Low: Little things, such as maybe drawing a sigil or speaking a phrase to cast a spell. (words have power, after all)
- Draw sigils that have already been created. The act of drawing them itself is how it can be activated.
- Write something in Tengwar to cast a spell.
- Speak aloud a spell using Dovahzuhl.
- Use crystals to charge and cleanse areas, objects and yourself as they have their own energy.
- Read Magic Books
Average: Can practice basic energy work and complete more complex spells such as storm summonings or enchantments.
- Learn or Practice Rune Casting
- Learn or Practice Tarot Reading
- Explore Hedgecraft: The Art of Astral Work
- Explore Intrinsic Magic: The Art of Energy Manipulation
- Explore Divination: The Art of Fortune-Telling
- Learn about how Magic and Neurodivergencies can coexist.
- Try out some of these ideas to combine Stimming and Magic!
Lots!: Big rituals can be completed, and its probably a good idea to stockpile and get a lot done while you have the energy. Create a bunch of sigils and enchant a bunch of items that can easily be used with an activation word or trigger for when you are low on spoons.
- Create Sigils
- Write Spells
- Explore New Sects of the Craft
- Educate Yourself on Cultural Appropriation
- Use Your Craft to Make a Change: Resistance Witchcraft!
- Disney inspired spells
- Horror movie curses
- Lord of the Rings spells
- Magical Girl spells