When I first starting practicing Wicca, like a decade ago, I came across a copy of To Ride a Silver Broomstick by SIlver Ravenwolf. I gobbled it up. It is not until, now, as a 23 year old witch with ten years of experience under my belt, that I realize what an absolute load of crap that entire book was. I can wax poetic about why, for the love of all that is good in this world, you should not, under any circumstance read, buy or support Silver Ravenpoop’s books. She is not an even remotely good source and she profits off the ignorance of young pagans.
- She claims that Wicca and Witchcraft are the same thing. Yup, if you are a witch, you have to be Wiccan.
- She claims that Satanist and Christian witches do not exist. Because all witches are Wicca, right?
- She’s very clearly heteronormative, and does not acknowledge any genders other than the Male/Female, God/Goddess idea. Oh, and I do mean the CIS idea of Male/Female. Apparently you’re only a dude or a girl if you have the biological body parts to go with it. Yeah.
- She talks a LOT about sex and fertility rites, but only in regards to straight people. Yup, if you’re LGBTQA, Ravenwolf refuses to acknowledge or write about you.
- She believes and preaches the importance of an intact hymen being equal to a person’s virginity. As if virginity is actually a biological state and not just a sociological concept invented by men. Mhmm.
- Her books are rank with cultural appropriation. Like, you name a sacred religious rite from a minority culture and she has probably written about it and said its 100% a-okay to steal stuff that doesn’t belong to you.
- She’s clearly racist and speaks from a standpoint of white privilege, and her words are aimed at a young, white, straight audience.
- She teaches hate and intolerance.
- She teaches a completely incorrect version of history and tries to convince her readers that everything is a conspiracy.
- She tries to convince us that witches are the most persecuted group of people in history and completely erases any mention of Native American genocide and the enslavement of African Americans.
- She believes Christians and Christianity is evil and is outspoken about how much she hates them. Same for Satanists, pretty much. If you don’t believe in Wicca, you should be shunned, apparently.
I just. I can’t even. I could go on. There is more I could list. But honestly, I will say it right now, do not even bother reading anything by this fraud. She teaches nothing but hate and prejudice and if you have already had the misfortune of reading one of her books, throw it away or burn it and try your best to unlearn everything she has taught you. Egads, she is just awful. (shudders) All 21 of her books are laughably bad and full of crap. I attempted to read some of her other books, thinking maybe To Ride A Silver Broomstick was just like, a bad start, or something. Nope. They’re all awful.